Saturday, February 5, 2011

Back Story

Mood: goodish
HELP! Okay I just write the first 600 words of my new story. But I feel like the entire thing is just background. Yes Background info is important yes, but it's so boring. I want action (it is an action novel after all). My intro was so good (at least in my opinion), but after that? Pretty darn crappy. The only good things about it is that 1) I'm using a lot of voice (*Squeal* third grade writing term) which is important. 2) It informs the reader about how my character views important things like Hollywood. But other than that? Not much. The thing is it's not like 600 words is a lot. But it feels like it's too much explanation for the first FOUR paragraphs.
I've heard that you should basically discard the first two chapters because most of the time it's all back story. What do you think? How do you know when it's too much?
Now to PWTW. For those of you who noticed, I didn't post yesterday. I was planning to do PWTW everyday, but that's crazy. I'll try to do PWTW at least every week. Hopefully a couple of times a week. Here's today's picture:
Gorgeous, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment