Saturday, January 29, 2011

Explaining

Mood: proud
I just used Write of Die for the first time! I passed my goal (which was actually pretty low to begin with since I didn't know my typing speed.) It was interesting. I really enjoyed it though. It really got me to push for my goal. The section I write today was the beginning to one of my SNIs that I've been in love with lately. I'm having trouble deciding if I want it to be the beginning or if I want it to go into the beginning. The difference? If it's the beginning than I need to improve the hook. If it's IN the beginning then I need to write a hook. No matter what thought it will one of the first things the reader will read.
This SNI is fantasy. I've never doe fantasy before. When I say fantasy I mean like The Lord of the Rings and unicorns type of fantasy. This is genre is very foreign to me. I don't read fantasy (I've read the Hobbit once but that's it.) My usual genre is paranormal, but this idea was to mind blowing for my to forget.
Fantasy books are normally pretty elaborate. There's a lot of magical scenes to explain which brings me to the topic of this post. Explaining to the reader about you're world.
It's a tough thing to do. You don't want to overwhelm the reader nor do you want to confuse the reader. It's a complicated balance. Normally the first three chapters are spent explaining which is why those typically tend to be the least interesting. So how do you write an explanation without confusing/ overwhelming your reader?
As a writer, I don't think there is an exact way to do this. I hate to say it, but I think it's true. In writing, everything (unless you write non-fiction) is fueled by imagination. Who's to tell you how to explain your world. It's your world anyways. Of course I believe there are less tasteful ways to explain things, but I don't think there is a sure proof way to write the perfect explanation. If there was every writer would use it cause MASS CHAOS AROUND THE WORLD (or at least in the reading realm.)
What do yo think? Is there a way you explain things in your writing? I know this wasn't very helpful or enlightening, but it was all I could think of saying on the topic.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment